Pages

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Review: The Good Fairies of New York

I read another book! Wow, if this keeps up, I may actually get back to reading regularly sometime before my daughter turns 4. Sigh. Anyway ...

I read The Good Fairies of New York by Martin Millar. It's a little hard to describe so I'm just going to paste the back of the book description here:
When a pair of fugitive Scottish thistle fairies end up transplanted to Manhattan by mistake, both the Big Apple and the Little People have a lot of adjusting to do. Heather and Morag just want to start the first radical fairy punk rock band, but first they’ll have make a match between two highly unlikely sweethearts, start a street brawl between rival gangs of Italian, Chinese, and African fairies, help the ghost of a dead rocker track down his lost guitar, reclaim a rare triple-bloomed Welsh poppy from a bag lady with delusions of grandeur, disrupt a local community performance of A Midsummer Night’s Dream, and somehow manage to stay sober enough to save all of New York from an invasion of evil Cornish fairies.

If they can stop feuding with each other, that is.
This book is about as silly as they get but then there will be these moments of heartbreaking realness - like when the human heroine changes her colostomy bag or a homeless person dies in her front step. It's kind of a strange mixture but is easy to read and hard to put down. I'm not sure I need to read everything Millar's ever written now, or anything like that, but I enjoyed it.

Find The Good Fairies of New York on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get comments and welcome them on any of my posts. There is comment moderation on posts older than 14 days, but your comments will appear immediately on current posts.

Due to th eabsolutely insane number of spam comments I have been getting recently, I have unfortunately had to turn on word verification. Please email me if you have problems posting a comment.