Pages

Monday, May 31, 2010

Review: Cloud Atlas

I have never gotten as many comments about a book I have bought or checked out of the library than Cloud Atlas. I'm not talking about comments on my review of a book, but comments on a post where I said I was planning on reading a book. Now that I've actually read the book, I can see why.

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell is incredibly strange, totally different, and really wonderful.

Cloud Atlas is six loosely connected stories - the first a journal of a sad sack clerk crossing the Pacific in 1850, then jumping forward in time to a bisexual grifter/composer in post-WWI Belgium, jumping again to a journalist in 70's California, to a hapless vanity publisher in England, to a condemned clone in futuristic Korea, and ending with a man in post-apocalyptic Hawai'i. Then, wonderfully, we begin to go back again, finishing each story, and learning a bit more about what connects these characters.

Some of the stories have a happy ending, some left me teary-eyed. Each was markedly different from the next in tone and setting. Despite the fact that I usually don't like short story collections (which this is not, but it resembles), I loved this book. I highly recommend it.

Buy Cloud Atlas: A Novel on Amazon.

4 comments:

  1. I just pre-ordered Mitchell's new book The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet due for release in late June. Can't wait! I haven't actually read Cloud Atlas, but based on your review, I think I need to check it out before Autumns comes. Cloud Atlas has always been really intriguing, and it sounds incredibly inventive. Thanks a great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow cool review ! I bought Cloud Atlas a few weeks ago and didn't really know what the book was about ! I'll move it up in my TBR pile !

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's such a wild and wonderful book. A unique reading experience and like Greg I'm looking forward to reading the new one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay! as you know, I adore this one!

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments and welcome them on any of my posts. There is comment moderation on posts older than 14 days, but your comments will appear immediately on current posts.

Due to th eabsolutely insane number of spam comments I have been getting recently, I have unfortunately had to turn on word verification. Please email me if you have problems posting a comment.