Pages

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Review: Walking the Bible

I read this book several years ago, when it first came out in paperback, and was just absolutely charmed by it. In it, Journalist Bruce Feiler, accompanied by Israeli archaeologist Avner Goren, visits the sites in the first five books of the Bible (the Torah). He meets Jews and Muslims, city dwellers and Bedouin, atheists and fundamentalists, children and famous politicians. He writes about food, culture, history, and, of course, God. Over the course of his trip, Feiler, who was raised Jewish but had lost touch with his faith, reconnects with God and discovers what it means to him to be a Jew. 

In addition to being a book about faith, this is also a fascinating book about history and travel. I think anyone with an interest in the Middle East or travel or religion will enjoy this book as much as I did.

Buy Walking the Bible: A Journey by Land Through the Five Books of Moses on Amazon.

This was also a PBS documentary. I watched one episode but didn't like it as much as the book, and never watched the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get comments and welcome them on any of my posts. There is comment moderation on posts older than 14 days, but your comments will appear immediately on current posts.

Due to th eabsolutely insane number of spam comments I have been getting recently, I have unfortunately had to turn on word verification. Please email me if you have problems posting a comment.