Pages

Monday, August 17, 2009

Review: The Middle Place


At thirty-six, Kelly Corrigan had a marriage that worked, two funny, active kids, and a weekly newspaper column. Even then, she still saw herself as the daughter of a garrulous Irish-American charmer, George Corrigan. She was living deep within what she calls the Middle Place - "that sliver of time when parenthood and childhood overlap" -- comfortably wedged between her adult duties and her parents' care. But when she finds a lump in her breast - and gets the diagnosis no one wants to hear - and when her beloved father, too, learns he has late-stage cancer, Kelly finally takes the leap and grows up.
I would never have chosen The Middle Place by Kelly Corrigan on my own. It was a book club book so I dutifully read it, but a cancer memoir is the sort of thing I try to stay far away from. I have enough sadness in my life, thank you very much. This was a very well written book, though. Corrigan knows how to blend the fanny and the sad enough to keep the reader going, rather than piling on the tragedy. I enjoyed seeing my own friends and family in hers, and could smile along at her descriptions of the ways in which big families are an entity unto themselves.

I can't quite say that I enjoyed The Middle Place, though. As I suspected I might, and despite her upbeat tone, I found this book to be incredibly sad. A different reader might enjoy this book quite a bit, but for me, this wasn't an enjoyable book to read.

Buy The Middle Place on Amazon.
Visit the author's website or her charity, Circus of Cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get comments and welcome them on any of my posts. There is comment moderation on posts older than 14 days, but your comments will appear immediately on current posts.

Due to th eabsolutely insane number of spam comments I have been getting recently, I have unfortunately had to turn on word verification. Please email me if you have problems posting a comment.