Pages

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Secret Room Round-up

As you may have figured out by now, I love secret places in a building. I find articles about them all the time, though most of the time there aren't any photos, so I don't bother passing them along (and most of them are of the "police found drugs in secret room" vein, which I'm decidedly not interested in). Here are some more links and photos of secret rooms and doors that caught my eye:

From Dornob: Modern Secret Rooms and Hidden Doors. I like the stair/door.



Have you ever heard of Chicheley Hall? It was just purchased by the Royal Society, which brought it to my attention.
The most remarkable room is the 'secret' library on the upper floor, with all shelving and books concealed behind what appears to be panelling, thus disguising the room's true use. The interior includes some of the finest woodcarving, joinery and plasterwork in any English country house of its period.


If any of you have ever been there, I would love to see what it looks like inside! I can only find exterior photos online.

Proof that its not just castles that have secret rooms and that wardrobes really can lead to a secret place (even if its just a dusty bedroom). abandoned place... behind my own wardrobe

No photos unfortunately, but this article is about a new home that Richard Dreyfuss (yes, the actor) is building. In addition to being a model for green building/sustainability practices, the home also has planned a "two-story library for Dreyfuss' 15,000-volume book collection, with a hidden panel leading to a secret room." Am I jealous? Yes, yes, I am.

That's it for now. I'd love to hear from you about any secret rooms, etc that you've visited or heard about recently!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get comments and welcome them on any of my posts. There is comment moderation on posts older than 14 days, but your comments will appear immediately on current posts.

Due to th eabsolutely insane number of spam comments I have been getting recently, I have unfortunately had to turn on word verification. Please email me if you have problems posting a comment.