Pages

Friday, March 27, 2009

How to Design

I was recently introduced to a blog by book cover designer Henry Sene Yee. At the top of the page is this little nugget, which I wanted to share with you all:
HOW DO YOU DESIGN A BOOK COVER?

First you start with a blank page, stare and think really hard, drink lots of coffee, take lots of breaks, fix the copier jam, update your Facebook page, get over the fears that this project is the one that will finally expose you as the hack that you are, and then just trust to do what you feel is right from what you've read, present your ideas to find out how they live outside of your head, listen to feedback, try to leave work at a decent hour, have a life, floss, get enough sleep, have a good breakfast and come back the next day to redo it all over again. It's that simple and fun. And if it isn't, then get another blank page and start all over again.
That description applies to just about all design, I think, not just book cover design.

The designs on the site are very nice, too - I recommend you check it out.

1 comment:

  1. hmmm...i find that procedure is true for just about everything in my life...

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments and welcome them on any of my posts. There is comment moderation on posts older than 14 days, but your comments will appear immediately on current posts.

Due to th eabsolutely insane number of spam comments I have been getting recently, I have unfortunately had to turn on word verification. Please email me if you have problems posting a comment.