Pages

Friday, March 20, 2009

Friday Update

I think the lesson this week is two-fold: 1) Half-Price Books is amazing and 2) I should probably not be allowed to shop there. In related news, we passed the 2,000 book mark in our Library Thing library. The library consists of all the books that are physically in our house, so, yes, we have no more room. Will that stop us? I doubt it.

In addition to trying to round out some of our book collections (for me, Margaret Frazer's medieval mysteries and for Chris, the rest of the Thieve's World graphic novels), I also picked up a memoir that looked intriguing: Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight: An African Childhood by Alexandra Fuller.
In Don’t Let’s Go to the Dogs Tonight, Alexandra Fuller remembers her African childhood with candor and sensitivity. Though it is a diary of an unruly life in an often inhospitable place, it is suffused with Fuller’s endearing ability to find laughter, even when there is little to celebrate. Fuller’s debut is unsentimental and unflinching but always captivating. In wry and sometimes hilarious prose, she stares down disaster and looks back with rage and love at the life of an extraordinary family in an extraordinary time.


That's it for today from me. Have a wonderful weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Fuller's book is very good. I cannot stress enough, however, that Rian Malan's book My Traitor's Heart, is one of the best books I have ever read. I mention it because its similiarly written by a white ex-pat from southern Africa. Happy to lend it to you if you like.

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments and welcome them on any of my posts. There is comment moderation on posts older than 14 days, but your comments will appear immediately on current posts.

Due to th eabsolutely insane number of spam comments I have been getting recently, I have unfortunately had to turn on word verification. Please email me if you have problems posting a comment.