Pages

Friday, February 6, 2009

One Book Meme

Instead of a Friday update, I am doing this cute meme I got from The Book Lady's Blog.

One book you’re currently reading: The Reincarnationist by MJ Rose

One book that changed your life: The Awakening by Kate Chopin

One book you’d want on a deserted island: Hmm... maybe our copy of Chapman Piloting and Seamanship. It's the bible of sailboats so I bet it could help me get off the island!

One book you’ve read more than once: Just one? I'm notorious for re-reading books. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

One book you’ve never been able to finish: Most recently, Winter in Kandahar by Steven E. Wilson.

One book that made you laugh: Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris.

One book that made you cry: Plainsong by Kent Haruf. Just beautiful.

One book you keep rereading: See above... Hero & the Crown by Robin McKinley. (My review)

One book you’ve been meaning to read: Anything by Jane Austen. I still haven't gotten around to it.

One book you believe everyone should read: Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler. Well, maybe not the boys but it doesn't matter if you ever plan to have kids or not, this is a book I think every woman should read.

Finally, grab the nearest book. Open it to page 56. Find the fifth sentence:
According to Schindler, the pilotis* were inspired by "the pile structure indigenous to all beaches."
From L.A. Modern by Tim Street-Porter and Nicolai Ouroussoff. The quote is in reference to the Lovell Beach House, designed by architect Rudolph Schindler.



*Pilotis (pronounced pee-low-tees) are skinny columns.

1 comment:

  1. Have you read Haruf's The Tie That Binds? That one made me cry.

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments and welcome them on any of my posts. There is comment moderation on posts older than 14 days, but your comments will appear immediately on current posts.

Due to th eabsolutely insane number of spam comments I have been getting recently, I have unfortunately had to turn on word verification. Please email me if you have problems posting a comment.