Pages

Friday, February 20, 2009

Friday Update

TGIF! I've had a busy past two weeks at work (which is good - I'd much rather be busy than bored) and now have a cold on top. I'm very happy it's the weekend. I only wish this was a three-day weekend, too!

In books this week, I am very proud of myself: I went to the bookstore on Tuesday to get my sister a birthday present and I did not walk out with anything for myself! This is a miracle. Of course, it may be because my husband and I bought five books over the weekend, plus I went to the library and checked out about seven more. So it's not like I have any shortage of reading material! So, what did I come home with?



For my sister's birthday, I bought a book I've had my eye on for a while: People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks.
Inspired by a true story, People of the Book is a novel of sweeping historical grandeur and intimate emotional intensity by an acclaimed and beloved author. ... this ambitious, electrifying work traces the harrowing journey of the famed Sarajevo Haggadah, a beautifully illuminated Hebrew manuscript created in fifteenth-century Spain. When it falls to Hanna Heath, an Australian rare-book expert, to conserve this priceless work, the series of tiny artifacts she discovers in its ancient binding—an insect wing fragment, wine stains, salt crystals, a white hair—only begin to unlock its deep mysteries and unexpectedly plunges Hanna into the intrigues of fine art forgers and ultra-nationalist fanatics.
Clearly, I need to borrow it from my sister when she's done.

For myself, I bought two (very different) books, the first was Dime Store Magic (the 3rd Women of the Otherworld book) by Kelley Armstrong.



Like Stolen (the second book in the series), this book was enjoyable, but did not quite live up to Bitten (book 1). I will likely read the other books in the series, but look forward to future books about werewolf Elena, rather than installments about witch Paige.



The other book I bought was Old Man's War by John Scalzi. Well, before I could even look at Old Man's War, my husband was tearing through it, unwilling to put it down to even eat. So the next day (yes, he read it that quickly) he headed back to a bookstore to pick up the two sequels: The Ghost Brigades and The Last Colony. I'm sure we'll also be getting Zoe's Tale when it comes out in paperback, if we can wait that long.

Have a great weekend, full of wonderful books!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get comments and welcome them on any of my posts. There is comment moderation on posts older than 14 days, but your comments will appear immediately on current posts.

Due to th eabsolutely insane number of spam comments I have been getting recently, I have unfortunately had to turn on word verification. Please email me if you have problems posting a comment.