Pages

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Book Suggestions

I got a request today from a good friend of mine.
I just finished Independence Day by Richard Ford, which was phenomenal, and am now reading Lolita, but I feel like I'm in an author rut. Would love to hear if you have any suggestions...
Absolutely!

I loved Lolita, and though I've never read it, I've been told (by people who know) that Pnin by Nabakov is even better.

Have you tried reading anything by Richard Russo? I really liked Empire Falls. I think it got made into a movie, too, though I didn't see it.

For another book in the "sad but well-written examination of American life" department, you could try The Gravedigger's Daughter by Joyce Carol Oates. I have to confess I didn't finish this one, because it is long and dense, but Oates is a great writer.

Also, The Ha-Ha by Dave King (which I blogged about recently) is great and I can't recommend it enough.

If anyone else is looking for book suggestions, let me know what you like and I'm happy to see if I can help.

2 comments:

  1. My mother-in-law has been emailing me questions like this recently. Or "My new book club picked this book. Will I like it?"

    I am always amused by it, for some reason, although it is nice being able to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's funny to me is that one of the original reasons I joined LT was to get book suggestions -- and, wow, do I ever have lots of them now!

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments and welcome them on any of my posts. There is comment moderation on posts older than 14 days, but your comments will appear immediately on current posts.

Due to th eabsolutely insane number of spam comments I have been getting recently, I have unfortunately had to turn on word verification. Please email me if you have problems posting a comment.