Pages

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Books: Keep or Toss?

Do you keep your books after you've read them, or do you get rid of them? Apparently, this is a pretty hot topic, based on the blog posts and articles I've found about it (here, here, here and a cool one here). I understand it; books can be powerful, so tactile and evocative. I love them. Historically, they've been potent stuff. Just think about a time when every book had to be hand written. Or when printing became feasible (thanks, Gutenberg!) and to own a single book was heretic.


So, clearly, we're a keep family. My husband is an even bigger book addict than I am. When we moved into our little loft, we downsized everything except books. I got rid of two or three books that were in pretty bad shape, and my husband was startled that I would even get rid of that many. Now, we have 5 very large bookshelves, and our collection keeps growing.

4 comments:

  1. Keep, keep, keep!

    I try hard to only keep the books I love and the ones that I haven't read yet. Unfortunately that is still piles & piles. And my husband is worse than me, just like yours! I can hardly complain when I have stacks of books sitting everywhere.

    Oh well, it's not such a bad addiciton, as addictions go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want a library. A LIBRARY. I want to have not just shelves, but whole rooms devoted to books. I don't really have the room for it and I know it isn't practical, but I love the idea that I have hundreds of books in the house. It is a clear expression of my love of books and reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have become a keeper, and I'm also a lender.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa,

    Oh, yeah, I totally agree. I would love to have a real library. Heaven.

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments and welcome them on any of my posts. There is comment moderation on posts older than 14 days, but your comments will appear immediately on current posts.

Due to th eabsolutely insane number of spam comments I have been getting recently, I have unfortunately had to turn on word verification. Please email me if you have problems posting a comment.